Gulf News reports further details of Etisalat’s NFC payments system, due to launch in the UAE before the end of 2011. Purchases will be limited to US$50 (AED 183), with no transaction fee for consumers and “a small fee” for merchants. 600 outlets in the Emirates are currently equipped to accept NFC payments, with a further 600 expected over the next six months. Etisalat is also in talks with the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) to allow NFC phone users to tap their way on to public transport.
- Samsung Pay offers $100 discount to new users
- Apple Pay signs deal with China UnionPay?
- Google boosts Android Pay adoption with $1m charity fund
- BNP Paribas tests NFC screen shopping
- Three launches NFC mobile payments in Austria