Dublin-based Zapa Technology has appointed a provisional liquidator, according to the Irish Times. The NFC retail payments and rewards specialist, which continues to trade while a buyer is sought, owes €700,000 to creditors and has been unable to obtain funding to extend its Zapa Tag system. Zapa is the second high-profile proprietary NFC payments system to run into trouble this year, after Bling Nation suspended its US operations in June.
- MasterCard collaborates on speeding up EMV checkout
- Samsung Pay to launch in Spain next week
- US startup raises funds for multipurpose smart wallet
- BLE beacons to deliver 1.6bn coupons a year by 2020
- Android Pay adds 47 banks