Parking meters in Ottawa will accept payments from NFC-enabled smartphones starting in early 2012. Customers with credit card information stored in their NFC wallet will be able to tap their phone on a reader to pay when they park. Currently, 39 per cent of parking transactions at ‘pay and display’ machines in the Canadian city are made with credit cards.
- NXP CEO: NFC secure elements will continue to see strong demand
- Vodafone Italia pilots smart shopping posters
- Pepsi tests NFC for shopper marketing
- Interest in mobile payments grows
- Zuckerberg: Facebook is working on payments but it will take time to get it right