Parking meters in Ottawa will accept payments from NFC-enabled smartphones starting in early 2012. Customers with credit card information stored in their NFC wallet will be able to tap their phone on a reader to pay when they park. Currently, 39 per cent of parking transactions at ‘pay and display’ machines in the Canadian city are made with credit cards.
- Discover to add support for Apple Pay
- PayPal begins piloting NFC and records 40% growth in mobile payments
- M-Pesa and MTN Mobile Money join up
- Starbucks processes 8m mobile payments every week
- Twitter invests in beacon marketer Swirl