Canadian airline WestJet is to test contactless and NFC payments for in-flight purchases, American Banker reports. Technology from GuestLogix and MasterCard will boost transaction security in the air, where online authorisations are impractical. “Airlines have come to recognize there is a wide array of merchandise they can sell onboard, including items like wine and apparel they can have delivered to passengers’ homes when they land,” says GuestLogix.
- 2.2bn NFC-enabled handset shipments by 2020, IHS Technology predicts
- Beacons guide Hong Kong airport passengers
- Maple Leafs install beacons for draft party
- Sharp includes fingerprint sensor in flagship smartphone
- US$2.7tn mobile wallet market by 2020