BNZ and Vodafone have begun a three month NFC payments pilot in New Zealand. The small scale trial involves some 44 BNZ and Vodafone staff who will be issued with Samsung Galaxy S II NFC phones. Visa and payments processor Paymark are also taking part in the trial. "What we're testing here is the viability of a true mobile wallet that will eventually allow people to replace multiple pieces of plastic with functionality embedded inside their phone," says BNZ's Paul Tait. "It's going to make smartphones even smarter."
- NFC stickers impress retailers at Sydney show
- UL gets EMVCo accreditation for mobile payments testing
- JanSport runs NFC outdoor ads in New York
- Dubai shopping mall to launch NFC and Bluetooth mobile loyalty program
- C-Sam speeds NFC development with applets and testing services