The new UpTeq NFC SIM meets a flight of top level security requirements and, says the digital security firm, can be used to generate legally binding digital signatures as well as deliver both e-health and e-government services.
Gemalto has launched a new NFC SIM designed to provide mobile operators with a higher return on investment from their NFC rollouts and a new level of security for protecting mobile transactions.
The new Upteq NFC SIM has passed a suite of security certification requirements from a range of independent authorities:
- The Java Card technology implemented in the UpTeq NFC has been Common Criteria certified EAL4+ using formal assurances from the EAL7 level, the highest level of certification possible.
- The operating system, compliant with the Global Platform 2.2.1 specification, is also EAL4+ Common Criteria certified conformant to the (U)SIM Java Card Platform V2 protection profile.
- The software application is EAL4+ Common Criteria certified conformant to the highest banking security requirements.
- The operating system has achieved the EMVCo scheme certification required by the major international payment associations.
- The software application and the UICC have both achieved the compliance assessment and security testing certification in accordance with MasterCard's highest security requirements.
"UpTeq NFC sets a major advancement from the conventional SIM card, while maintaining the standard form factors and functional backward compatibility," says Gemalto. "Designed as a high-end security device to handle the processing, storage and verification of sensitive data, it is fitted with significantly expanded memory capacity for hosting a broad range of NFC services including payment, transport and loyalty programs. It can also generate legally-binding digital signatures and handle e-health and e-government services."
"Mobile users will be able to enjoy complete ease and convenience of downloading, activating, using and removing new services on their phone in an entirely protected environment," the company adds. "For mobile operators, the secure and certified post-issuance features of UpTeq NFC allow them to mass deploy NFC services without the need to extensively pre-qualify each and every service and application. These features provide the time-to-market advantage and flexibility which is crucial for the ultimate success of mobile NFC deployments."
"UpTeq NFC is the ideal solution for mass deployment of mobile contactless services with great user experience and the best security that the industry can offer," says Gemalto's Philippe Vallée. "The capabilities and comprehensive certification that Gemalto bundled in this new flagship high-end device are of critical importance for mobile operators to quickly attract as many partners as early as possible."
UpTeq NFC is available to order today.