Market forecaster In-Stat predicts that the value of proximity mobile payment transactions will approach US$9.9 billion in 2016, up from $1.1 billion in 2012. The Asia Pacific region will dominate payments volumes throughout the next few years, the company says, accounting for 41% of global transactions in 2016.
- M-Pesa and MTN Mobile Money join up
- Starbucks processes 8m mobile payments every week
- Twitter invests in beacon marketer Swirl
- Forecast: 100m Apple Pay-capable phones in US by 2020
- Vodafone Netherlands adds credit card to Wallet