By 2016 almost 80% of the smartphones in Canada will be NFC-enabled, “providing a solid foundation for the uptake of mobile contactless payments”, according to Canadian Payments Forecast — 2012, a new report from TSI. “Cash will remain the most frequently used form of payment in Canada over the next five years, but will suffer substantial erosion from contactless debit and credit payments,” say the authors.
- Samsung Pay gets new features and gives away $100,000 in prizes
- NXP rebrands Mifare SDK as TapLinx
- FCC authorizes mysterious Apple product
- Android Pay users get free London travel and coffee
- Gemalto and BankAxept to simplify mobile payments for Norwegian banks