Visa is making multiple efforts towards a “mainstream launch” of contactless and mobile payments in the UK in 2013, Marc O’Brien, managing director of Visa UK & Ireland has told a meeting of the Westminster eForum, Marketing Week reports. “Building momentum from the Olympic Games, we’re looking to roll out of the [contactless payment] cards and handsets this year,” he said. Visa’s data suggests that 17% of the UK’s mobile phones are NFC-enabled at present, adds the report.
- 600m mobile devices to include biometrics by 2021
- ANZ could offer mortgages through Apple Pay
- Mastercard and Verifone unveil Instalments payments app
- Austrian bank deploys NFC-ready ATMs
- Apple Pay launches in Spain