Visa is making multiple efforts towards a “mainstream launch” of contactless and mobile payments in the UK in 2013, Marc O’Brien, managing director of Visa UK & Ireland has told a meeting of the Westminster eForum, Marketing Week reports. “Building momentum from the Olympic Games, we’re looking to roll out of the [contactless payment] cards and handsets this year,” he said. Visa’s data suggests that 17% of the UK’s mobile phones are NFC-enabled at present, adds the report.
- Transport for the North set to trial HCE for travel payments
- Japanese government to trial biometrics
- Sarine to add NFC to share details on diamonds and gemstones
- WhatsApp tests NFC for group invites
- Samsung Pay gets new features and gives away $100,000 in prizes