NXP Semiconductors shipped 125m NFC chips for smartphones and tablets in 2012, beating previous projections. The chip maker’s figures received a boost when Samsung shipped 40m Galaxy S III smartphones equipped with NXP chips in the final six months of the year. Samsung is, however, believed to be using Broadcom NFC technology in the new Galaxy S4.
- New Pebble could offer NFC strap
- Qkr! payments at Wagamama
- Madrid tests NFC ticketing on public transport
- Pizza Hut could let customers order and pay for pizza from their cars
- SpotMe app lets Android users spend Apple Pay cash