NXP Semiconductors shipped 125m NFC chips for smartphones and tablets in 2012, beating previous projections. The chip maker’s figures received a boost when Samsung shipped 40m Galaxy S III smartphones equipped with NXP chips in the final six months of the year. Samsung is, however, believed to be using Broadcom NFC technology in the new Galaxy S4.
- Vodafone Italia adds NFC mobile payments with PayPal
- ACI reports on mobile payments usage by Indian millennials
- OT works on mobile payments rollout in France
- Coinbase adds PayPal and credit card support
- RBI reveals framework for “less-cash” society