A total of 30m NFC SIMs were shipped globally by members of the SIMalliance in 2012 — an 87% increase on 2011. The Japan/Korea region was the largest market with 21m NFC SIMs shipped, followed by Western Europe at 6m. SimAlliance members, who account for 90% of the global market, shipped a total of 4.6bn SIMs in 2012, up 6% on 2011.
- Paym reports 89% increase in use in second half of 2015
- Apple’s Error 53 shuts down handsets with Touch ID repairs
- 3bn loyalty cards will move to mobile by 2020
- FitPay launches Kickstarter campaign to bring NFC smartstrap to market
- Cash by Optus adds contactless bands and stickers to reach beyond Android owners