Sony has unveiled the SmartWatch 2, a device that is designed to act as a second screen for Android smartphones and offers a range of additional conveniences — including NFC pairing and sharing.
The water-resistant device features a 1.6-inch, 220 by 176 pixel screen and acts as a smart watch, a notifier, an Android app interface and a phone remote control. Functions available, says Sony, include:
- Handle your calls by a simple touch of your wrist
- Take a photo remotely from your SmartWatch, using a smart camera app
- Control your presentations remotely using Presentation Pal
- Select a mapping app on SmartWatch to check your route with a quick glance at your wrist
- Read previously downloaded e-mails when not connected to your phone
- Use lifestyle apps to map and instantly track your fitness activities on the go
- Quickly and easily adjust the tracks and volume on your music player, without ever taking your phone from your pocket
"App expandability is key to Sony SmartWatch 2," says Sony. "It can be personalised with more dedicated apps than any other smartwatch to seamlessly suit your needs, whether you are on the go, keeping active, in business meetings or simply at home."
A video produced by Sony shows off the SmartWatch 2:
"The future of wearable devices is incredibly bright with analyst research predicting 41 million 'smart' watches will be sold by 2016," says Stefan K Persson, head of companion products at Sony Mobile Communications. "We have over 200 unique apps dedicated for Sony SmartWatch with over one million downloads to date and we are continuing to work with our strong developer network to deliver ever more compelling smartwatch experiences."
The Sony SmartWatch 2 will be available worldwide from September 2013.