PayPal Beacon, a mobile payment service that uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons to let shoppers make “hands free” payments, is now undergoing pilot testing in Palo Alto. “We’re trying to make the payments disappear for people who want them to disappear,” Hill Ferguson, PayPal’s chief product officer, told Bloomberg TV. PayPal Beacon is also being pilot tested in Australia, ahead of a wider rollout planned for later this year.
- Venmo enables in-app payments
- South Africans to get biometric authentication for card payments
- Apple Pay accounts for 75% of all contactless payments in the US
- Australian banks seek stronger negotiating powers with third party mobile wallet providers
- Americans expect cashless society in their lifetime