Visually-impaired travellers at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) are now being guided through terminals via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons supplied by Indoo.rs. Some 500 devices have been placed at boarding gates, restaurants and power outlets to trigger audible calls on a passenger’s smartphone when in beacon range. “The prototype version will undergo additional testing and refinement before being released for use by the traveling public,” SFO says.
- SimplyTapp launches open source tokenization project
- Bookatable tests iBeacon at 119 restaurants
- Chicago to get NFC mobile ticketing in 2016
- Discover CEO outlines plan to join Apple Pay
- Researchers show off ‘skin buttons’ for smartwatches