Visually-impaired travellers at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) are now being guided through terminals via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons supplied by Indoo.rs. Some 500 devices have been placed at boarding gates, restaurants and power outlets to trigger audible calls on a passenger’s smartphone when in beacon range. “The prototype version will undergo additional testing and refinement before being released for use by the traveling public,” SFO says.
- RapidNFC examines iPhone 6 tag reading issue
- Apple falls out with PayPal over Samsung deal
- KLM uses Bluetooth beacons to help passengers navigate Schiphol Airport
- Uber runs NFC marketing campaign in London pubs and clubs
- Transcript: eBay CEO John Donahoe discusses the future of PayPal as an independent company