Some 148m consumers will make NFC mobile payments this year, with Apple and Samsung accounting for nearly 70% of new customers, Juniper Research forecasts. “The research also anticipated that models based on host card emulation (HCE) would be widely deployed by banks and a number of leading OTT (Over The Top) players,” the firm says, predicting that NFC smartphones will be the main driver for contactless payments in the US owing to “the limited number of cards that currently offer the facility”.
- UK consumers eye up iris scanning for banking biometrics
- LG to develop its own MST technology?
- Samsung Pay set to go live in Canada?
- NXP to be bought by Qualcomm in US$47bn deal
- NFC to lead sharp rise in global smart packaging market