Customers at upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose are trialling a ‘scan as you shop’ mobile app in three branches that lets them scan product barcodes on their phones as they place goods in their basket. “The trial is taking place in Waitrose shops in Clapham Common, Meanwood and Milngavie, with a view to rolling out the service to all Waitrose branches in 2016 if successful,” the company says. Waitrose began testing Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons in its stores in May 2014.
- Apple Pay arriving in Germany?
- Chicago mobile ticket app hits 1m downloads
- Dubai bus passengers to get hands-free smart ticketing
- Visa works on blockchain B2B payment system
- Pizza Hut offers NFC tattoos that let customers order favourite takeaway