Luxury watchmaker Swatch will focus its smartwatch activities on its plastic Swatch brand before considering the technology for its pricier models. “Making progress in the smartwatch market is crucial for Swatch, which is seen as the most vulnerable of the Swiss watchmakers to inroads by the Apple Watch and similar watches produced by Samsung Electronics and others,” The Wall Street Journal reports. The company launched its first NFC payments watch, the Swatch Bellamy, in China in October 2015.
- 600m mobile devices to include biometrics by 2021
- ANZ could offer mortgages through Apple Pay
- Mastercard and Verifone unveil Instalments payments app
- Austrian bank deploys NFC-ready ATMs
- Apple Pay launches in Spain