UK railway operator Chiltern Railways is to pilot an automatic fare payment system to detect when a passenger boards a train and exits a station. The initiative will utilize smartphones and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons, the company confirmed to NFC World, and deduct fees from passenger bank accounts when journeys are completed. The trial is expected to begin in December 2016.
- 600m mobile devices to include biometrics by 2021
- ANZ could offer mortgages through Apple Pay
- Mastercard and Verifone unveil Instalments payments app
- Austrian bank deploys NFC-ready ATMs
- Apple Pay launches in Spain