UK railway operator Chiltern Railways is to pilot an automatic fare payment system to detect when a passenger boards a train and exits a station. The initiative will utilize smartphones and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons, the company confirmed to NFC World, and deduct fees from passenger bank accounts when journeys are completed. The trial is expected to begin in December 2016.
- Apple Pay arriving in Germany?
- Chicago mobile ticket app hits 1m downloads
- Dubai bus passengers to get hands-free smart ticketing
- Visa works on blockchain B2B payment system
- Pizza Hut offers NFC tattoos that let customers order favourite takeaway