Alipay parent company Ant Financial has acquired biometric provider EyeVerify. “Earlier this year, Ant Financial and EyeVerify entered into a licensing agreement in which Eyeprint ID was integrated into Ant Financial’s payment authentication platform,” Ant Financial says. The acquisition will allow the company’s Eyeprint ID technology to be integrated into more Ant Financial products and “secure hundreds of millions of consumers’ online data and transactions”. Eyeprint ID works by capturing an image of an eye and matching the unique vein pattern to verify identity. The acquisition cost $100m, Fortune reports.
- Alipay gains acceptance in US and Europe
- EMVCo and Fido to deliver biometric authentication standards for mobile payments
- Mastercard adds online Masterpass payments to Android Pay, Samsung Pay and Microsoft Wallet
- Blockchain authentication for mobile transactions
- Intel to put Visa payments technology into connected devices