UK consumers can make a donation to The Royal British Legion’s Poppy Appeal by tapping their contactless card or NFC device against contactless donation tins in 13 branches of UK bank Natwest. The tins are being trialled in collaboration with Worldpay and Thyngs. “One tin, developed by Worldpay, doubles up as a contactless terminal charging £2 (US$2.48) per tap,” Worldpay says. “Another will feature Thyngs Styckers which uses mobile phone technology to instantly direct mobile users to a dedicated donation page.” Mobile donations are currently being trialled, with contactless card donations set to be piloted next week.
- Graphene NFC antennas pave way for cheaper, stronger connected wearables
- Indian government working on Aadhaar mobile payments app
- Wirecard to integrate insurance into Boon
- Army cadets develop NFC medical bracelet
- Royal Mint to develop blockchain for gold trade