A total of 630m handsets, representing 40% of all mobile phones shipped, will come with NFC in 2015 and will drive transactions worth US$71bn, according to a new report by Informa Telecoms & Media. “We anticipate that Android will account for the largest number of NFC handset shipments from 2012 onwards,” says Informa’s Shailendra Pandey.
- NXP, Shanghai Unicom and Roam2Free collaborate to develop secure eSIM solution
- Mastercard launches several new APIs for developers
- Apple makes NFC tag reading available for beta testing
- Sydney man has Opal card implanted into hand to make catching public transport easier
- Beijing subway launches smartphone version of travel card