Durban is to introduce a contactless electronic wallet for use on its public transport network which can also be used to pay for purchases in shops. The Muvo card rollout will begin with a six week pilot on the South African city’s buses from February 2012. The system has been developed by South Africa’s National Department of Transport (NDoT), Almex and Standard Bank’s Beyond Payments unit.
- Shanghai Metro installs QR code readers at ticketing gates
- National Australia Bank integrates with Amazon Alexa
- Westpac adds support for Amazon Alexa
- Ride-hailing app Grab acquires mobile payments startup iKaaz
- Starbucks tests cashless store concept in Seattle