Durban is to introduce a contactless electronic wallet for use on its public transport network which can also be used to pay for purchases in shops. The Muvo card rollout will begin with a six week pilot on the South African city’s buses from February 2012. The system has been developed by South Africa’s National Department of Transport (NDoT), Almex and Standard Bank’s Beyond Payments unit.
- Maybank teams up with GrabPay for mobile payments in Malaysia
- Starbucks continues to lead the US mobile payments market
- Translink adds mobile payments for transit users in Vancouver
- EMVCo releases QR Payment Mark
- Bank of America adds AI assistant to mobile banking app