Parking meters in Ottawa will accept payments from NFC-enabled smartphones starting in early 2012. Customers with credit card information stored in their NFC wallet will be able to tap their phone on a reader to pay when they park. Currently, 39 per cent of parking transactions at ‘pay and display’ machines in the Canadian city are made with credit cards.
- NXP, Shanghai Unicom and Roam2Free collaborate to develop secure eSIM solution
- Mastercard launches several new APIs for developers
- Apple makes NFC tag reading available for beta testing
- Sydney man has Opal card implanted into hand to make catching public transport easier
- Beijing subway launches smartphone version of travel card