RIM has begun rolling out the BlackBerry 7.1 operating system update, which includes the NFC-based BlackBerry Tag service. BlackBerry Tag allows users of RIM’s NFC phones to instantly invite a friend to BBM or exchange contact information, web links and multimedia content as well as pair their BlackBerry with NFC-enabled Bluetooth devices. Updates are taking place worldwide over the next few weeks “subject to carrier certification”.
- Apple Pay runs free meal delivery promotion
- Google Assistant adds support for voice-based payments
- Shell rolls out mobile payments at the pump
- China opens up its payments market to foreign companies
- Starbucks to run cashless store pilot in South Korea