Inside Secure and embedded semiconductor maker Freescale have developed a reference design for an NFC-enabled prepaid utility meter that users can top up with their NFC phone. The meters would allow householders who prepay for their electricity and other utilities to cut out the need to insert coins or make a special trip to top up a prepaid account card or key.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents