“Sony is putting NFC at the heart of content sharing,” says the electronics giant as it announces six new products featuring NFC capabilities, including two new smartphones, Vaio touchscreen and Ultrabook PCs, a premium headset and a portable speaker unit.
Sony has announced a suite of new products that feature NFC at the IFA show in Berlin.
“Sony is putting NFC at the heart of content sharing through its ‘One-touch’ function, taking NFC beyond the traditional uses such as e-ticketing and payments,” says the company. “Now, consumers can easily and instantaneously enjoy their music and photos across an array of NFC enabled Sony devices, by simply touching one to another to establish a wireless connection without a cumbersome pairing process. For example, Xperia T and Xperia V users can stream music wirelessly with ‘One-touch’ to the new Sony SRS-BTV5 NFC enabled speaker, also announced today at IFA”.
Introducing the new products, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai also explained the company’s interest in including NFC in such a wide range of products. “Individual Sony products will entice and inspire people,” he explained. “But, what‘s also important is that by connecting and combining hardware, network services and applications, we will provide a truly remarkable and compelling experience.”
In all, six different products with NFC have been unveiled, with the list including two new smartphones, two Vaio PCs, a premium headset and portable speakers:
- Sony Xperia T and Xperia V Android smartphones. The Xperia T is Sony’s new “global flagship model” and features a 4.6-inch HD screen, a 1.5GHz dual core processor and will come in black, silver and white. The Xperia V shares a similar specification to the Xperia T and is also LTE-enabled. The Xperia T will launch globally over the next few weeks while the Xperia V will launch during Q4 2012. A variant of the Xperia T, known as the Xperia TX, will ship in some markets. “Xperia T and Xperia V combine Sony’s best screen, camera and connectivity to provide consumers with the best HD experience with which to enjoy content on any screen,” says Sony.
- Two Vaio computers, the Vaio Tap 20 and the Vaio Duo 11 Ultrabook, which both aim to cross the divide between tablets and laptops. Sony describes the mammoth 20-inch touchscreen Vaio Tap 20 as an “entertainment-centric touch PC which brings everyone together” while the Vaio Duo 11 features a slide out keyboard.
- The SRS-BTM8, an NFC and Bluetooth wireless 2W+2W stereo speaker unit that features a carry handle for easy portability. “With our range of wireless speakers, we want to make listening to music as easy and convenient as possible,” says Lynda Lamraoui, marketing manager at Sony Europe, “and with NFC technology, it really couldn’t be simpler. The SRS-BTM8 is the type of product you don’t even have to think about using – and that’s when technology is at its best.”
- The MDR-1RBT, an NFC-enabled headset that forms part of a series of new top-of-the range headphones that Sony describes as the “pinnacle of over fifty years of design innovation”.
• Find details of all current and upcoming NFC phones in our comprehensive NFC devices list.