Close to 100m NFC secure elements will be shipped this year and that number will double in 2013, according to analysis conducted by smart card trade body Eurosmart. 750m contactless cards will also be produced in 2013, up from 600m in 2012.
- Japanese banks get go ahead for digital currency launch
- UK supermarket pilots self-checkout service that lets shoppers scan and pay by smartphone
- Contactless ‘beer wall’ lets students serve and pay for their own drinks
- UK consumers warm to face verification at the point of sale
- Heart scan biometrics could let computers continuously monitor logged in users