A total of 30m NFC SIMs were shipped globally by members of the SIMalliance in 2012 — an 87% increase on 2011. The Japan/Korea region was the largest market with 21m NFC SIMs shipped, followed by Western Europe at 6m. SimAlliance members, who account for 90% of the global market, shipped a total of 4.6bn SIMs in 2012, up 6% on 2011.
- GlobalPlatform releases secure element specs for system-on-chip deployments
- European airlines add support for Google Pay
- Mammut uses NFC to create next generation customer experiences for outdoor sports fans
- Visa seeks product manager for cryptocurrency team
- Xiaomi expands its Mi Pay mobile payments service to India