250m NFC secure elements will be shipped in 2013, Eurosmart forecasts, up some 67% from the 150m units shipped in 2012 and an increase on the smart card trade body’s last estimation in November 2012. Smart secure contactless devices will also see a rise this year, from 660m units in 2012 to 895m in 2013, an increase of 36%.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents