Australian telco Telstra has teamed up with Tapit to enable revellers to download a New Year’s Eve app by tapping NFC tags located at 1,100 Telstra phone boxes and on lanyards worn by 1,300 retail staff. Consumers will use the app to connect with family and friends at midnight as well as submit a text message that could end up being projected onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- Apple adds support for Express Card NFC transactions that work even when an iPhone’s battery is almost flat
- Apple updates Core NFC to allow NFC tags to be read without opening an app
- Rambus gets Visa Ready certification for its ecommerce token gateway
- Mobile contactless payment volumes to rise by 30% a year to 2022
- French football club to launch its own cryptocurrency