A total of 450million contactless cards, twice the number produced in 2012, were shipped in 2013 by members of the Smart Payment Association, a group that accounts for 85% of the market. Some 37% of all payment cards shipped in the year included contactless functionality while the number of dual-interface cards, which accounted for 94% of contactless shipments in 2013, grew 115%. The Asia Pacific region saw the highest growth at 193%, followed by 64% in Europe and 45% in the Americas.
- Tappy Christmas! Save the Children raises money with contactless jumpers
- Bayern Munich adds NFC ticketing for Apple users at Allianz Arena
- Barclays lets customers use their mobile banking app to restrict the type of stores their card can be used in
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands
- The world’s biggest electronics store uses NFC tags to let shoppers self-checkout on their mobile phones