A total of 450million contactless cards, twice the number produced in 2012, were shipped in 2013 by members of the Smart Payment Association, a group that accounts for 85% of the market. Some 37% of all payment cards shipped in the year included contactless functionality while the number of dual-interface cards, which accounted for 94% of contactless shipments in 2013, grew 115%. The Asia Pacific region saw the highest growth at 193%, followed by 64% in Europe and 45% in the Americas.
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay
- Manhattan skyscraper secures fire safety system with tamper-evident NFC tags
- NFC mobile payments roll out in Saudi Arabia
- VTB switches on Huawei Pay at retail outlets across Russia
- P2P payments gain acceptance across all US age groups