A total of 450million contactless cards, twice the number produced in 2012, were shipped in 2013 by members of the Smart Payment Association, a group that accounts for 85% of the market. Some 37% of all payment cards shipped in the year included contactless functionality while the number of dual-interface cards, which accounted for 94% of contactless shipments in 2013, grew 115%. The Asia Pacific region saw the highest growth at 193%, followed by 64% in Europe and 45% in the Americas.
- BBVA makes eight APIs available to kickstart open banking program
- Hangzhou buses first to all use mobile pay
- New York forces smart lock maker to improve its security
- Euro Banking Association paper analyses cryptotechnologies in international payments
- Mobile wallet Curve launches ‘time travel’ tool to let you ‘shop in the past’