European merchants who accept either MasterCard or Maestro will be required to switch to contactless POS terminals by 1 January 2020, “ensuring that consumers will be able to pay with their contactless cards and NFC enabled devices at all point-of-sale (POS) terminals”, the payment network has announced. “New POS terminals must adhere to the new standard upon deployment as from 1 January 2016,” MasterCard adds.
- India to add face biometrics to Aadhaar national ID platform
- Walmart applies for multiple automated shopping patents
- Apple Pay runs free meal delivery promotion
- Google Assistant adds support for voice-based payments
- Shell rolls out mobile payments at the pump