Samsung’s version of Apple Pay is now live in China, Korea’s Yonhap news agency reports. The phone maker has taken a similar route to Apple by partnering with EMVCo member China UnionPay, which has an installed base of 3.6m contactless POS terminals, for the launch of an NFC payment service for users of its devices. “The tie up with UnionPay, which controls 80% of China’s offline payment market, is expected to give Samsung a head start in the mobile payment sector,” the agency says.
- NFC Forum unveils technical specification that lets IoT devices use a single antenna for both NFC and wireless charging
- Russian supermarket chain rolls out open loop fingerprint payments service
- Blockchain mobile payments pilot to go live in Mongolia
- US credit unions to offer blockchain digital ID service
- PenFed joins US move to contactless payment cards