Mobile network Econet’s payment service Ecocash is piloting NFC payments in Zimbabwe with cards that let users pay by tapping against a custom merchant device, TechZim reports. “The card was being distributed to any willing signup at selected tertiary institutions which include University of Zimbabwe, Seke Teachers’ College and Belvedere Teachers’ College,” the publication says. “Some providers/merchants that have been opted into this pilot include public transport operators and a few other retail outlets which are likely going to be located at these tertiary institutions.”
- Dejamobile raises €2.5m to expand its technical and commercial teams
- Singapore banks begin rollout of NetsPay NFC and QR mobile wallet
- Apple Pay set to launch in Poland and the Netherlands?
- Eftpos brings Apple Pay debit payments to Australia with Rambus tokenization technology
- NFC mobile payments users triple in Poland in a year