Mobile network Econet’s payment service Ecocash is piloting NFC payments in Zimbabwe with cards that let users pay by tapping against a custom merchant device, TechZim reports. “The card was being distributed to any willing signup at selected tertiary institutions which include University of Zimbabwe, Seke Teachers’ College and Belvedere Teachers’ College,” the publication says. “Some providers/merchants that have been opted into this pilot include public transport operators and a few other retail outlets which are likely going to be located at these tertiary institutions.”
- LG Pay goes live in the US with NFC and mag stripe mobile payments
- East reports on Apple Pay fraud in Europe
- IMF reports on the impact of digital money on banking business models
- PayPal launches its Xoom mobile remittance service in Europe
- Miami-Dade to roll out open loop ticketing in August?