Mobile network Econet’s payment service Ecocash is piloting NFC payments in Zimbabwe with cards that let users pay by tapping against a custom merchant device, TechZim reports. “The card was being distributed to any willing signup at selected tertiary institutions which include University of Zimbabwe, Seke Teachers’ College and Belvedere Teachers’ College,” the publication says. “Some providers/merchants that have been opted into this pilot include public transport operators and a few other retail outlets which are likely going to be located at these tertiary institutions.”
- Meet NFC World partners at Seamless Middle East
- Goode reports on growth of biometric authentication
- 3.4bn phones will support Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay by year end
- Apple to launch P2P payments and debit card this year?
- Guide introduces how Android Pay works