The Bank of England is consulting external experts on research designed to help set future policy which includes considering the effects of issuing its own Bitcoin-like digital currency. The One Bank Research Agenda discussion document, which aims to transform the way research is done at the bank, explains that the rise of digital currencies “has potentially profound implications for a financial system whose payments mechanism depends on bank deposits that need to be created through credit,” and goes on to ask what the impact on existing payment and settlement systems would be should it introduce its own digital currency in future.
- Some Bitcoin backers are defecting to create a rival currency
- Bank of America and PayPal partner to enable in-store payments and account linking
- TransferWise links with Apple Pay globally
- Report: Samsung Pay coming to third-party flagships in 2018
- China’s Baidu enters strategic partnership with Paypal to tap Chinese tourists