Active mobile money accounts worldwide grew 41% to more than 100 million in 2014, a report from the GSMA’s Mobile Money for the Unbanked programme has found. State of the Industry 2014: Mobile Financial Services for the Unbanked also reports that mobile money services are now available in 61% of developing markets — 84 out of 139 — with 255 services running in 89 countries worldwide. “Mobile is a key enabling tool for financial inclusion and over the last year we’ve seen significant growth in mobile financial services,” says GSMA chief regulatory officer Tom Phillips.
- Microsoft rebrands wallet as Microsoft Pay
- ICICI Bank partners with Paytm to offer instant loans during checkout
- Apple GymKit with NFC goes live in Australia
- Video shows that children could use Face ID to unlock their parents’ iPhone X
- UK supermarkets to test face recognition for proof-of-age at self-checkout tills