Active mobile money accounts worldwide grew 41% to more than 100 million in 2014, a report from the GSMA’s Mobile Money for the Unbanked programme has found. State of the Industry 2014: Mobile Financial Services for the Unbanked also reports that mobile money services are now available in 61% of developing markets — 84 out of 139 — with 255 services running in 89 countries worldwide. “Mobile is a key enabling tool for financial inclusion and over the last year we’ve seen significant growth in mobile financial services,” says GSMA chief regulatory officer Tom Phillips.
- Walmart expands Scan & Go mobile self-checkout pilot to 100 more stores
- Dunkin’ Donuts offers faster pickups to customers who order via mobile
- Visa CEO plots central role in IoT payments
- Walt Disney World to pilot cashless resort concept
- WeChat opens unmanned store in Shanghai