Google is building a framework for mobile payments in Android, a senior executive has revealed at Mobile World Congress. Android Pay will be an API layer that supports NFC and biometrics and will allow developers to incorporate payments, both in-store and in-app, into their applications, SVP Sundar Pichai told delegates in Barcelona. Android Pay is expected to launch at Google’s I/O conference in May 2015.
- NFC mobile payments roll out in Saudi Arabia
- VTB switches on Huawei Pay at retail outlets across Russia
- P2P payments gain acceptance across all US age groups
- Malibu adds NFC tags to 300,000 bottles for ‘Because Summer’ campaign
- Mastercard and Worldpay to let merchants accept payments direct from customers’ bank accounts