EMV payments on plastic cards won’t achieve broad adoption in the US until 2020, Forrester Research predicts, due to the rise of “more secure” mobile and contactless payment alternatives. “Forrester expects that more secure, encrypted and tokenized transactions on digital wallets, mobile device-based NFC virtual cards and EMV contactless payments will prove strong competitors to plastic EMV chip and signature and chip and PIN payments in the US,” the company says.
- Calling all payment, card and secure credential technology suppliers
- US survey finds growing support for biometrics as a replacement for passwords and PINs
- Samsung and LG to launch low-end smartphones that support their mobile payment services
- Gemalto agrees to be acquired by Thales
- Rambus forecasts omnichannel tokenization and ‘merchant pay’ as key trends for 2018