Contactless technology was built into more than 42% of smart payment cards shipped in 2014, up from 37% in 2013, the Smart Payment Association has revealed. More than 2.05bn chip payment cards were shipped around the world last year, just three years after global shipments exceeded the one billion mark in 2011. Growth in the Chinese and US markets contributed to the increase, says the association.
- Walmart expands Scan & Go mobile self-checkout pilot to 100 more stores
- Dunkin’ Donuts offers faster pickups to customers who order via mobile
- Visa CEO plots central role in IoT payments
- Walt Disney World to pilot cashless resort concept
- WeChat opens unmanned store in Shanghai