Contactless technology was built into more than 42% of smart payment cards shipped in 2014, up from 37% in 2013, the Smart Payment Association has revealed. More than 2.05bn chip payment cards were shipped around the world last year, just three years after global shipments exceeded the one billion mark in 2011. Growth in the Chinese and US markets contributed to the increase, says the association.
- UK government begins testing iPhone NFC passport reading
- Crédit Agricole pilots biometric bank cards
- Mattel adds NFC to Hot Wheels racing cars
- Android Q to let users log into Wi-Fi networks via NFC, QR or Bluetooth LE
- Chinese retailers shutter unmanned stores as ‘novelty wears off’