Mobile proximity payments — those made by consumers at the physical point of sale using a mobile device — in the US will total US$54bn by 2019, Javelin Strategy and Research has projected. Today, mobile proximity payments make up 1% of all retail transactions says Javelin, with almost one in six iOS smartphone owners making a proximity purchase within a 30 day period, nearly double the rate of Android smartphone owners.
- ABN Amro pilots wearable payments with select customers
- Danske Bank brings Apple Pay to customers in Northern Ireland
- Dankort gets lockscreen mobile payments and Touch ID support
- Punchh brings Apple Pay to restaurant loyalty program
- East London gets local currency built on the blockchain