About US$1tn will be spent using mobile payments services in 2017, up 124% from less than US$500bn expected in 2015, International Data Corporation says. “Asia/Pacific markets will contribute to this growth greatly as mobile commerce transactions with remote payments take off across the region,” the company predicts, adding the region is “expected to lead the world in mobile payment developments”.
- Shell pilots RFID system that scans all the items in a shopping basket in one go
- Metro Bank lets customers open an account with a selfie
- Dutch banks ING and Rabobank begin QR code payments pilot
- ABN Amro pulls out of Dutch banks’ mobile payment venture
- Commonwealth Bank introduces chatbot that can answer 200 banking and payments questions