Contactless transactions grew by almost 170% year-on-year in Q2 2015 across Europe and consumers already using contactless tapped 20% more often, research from MasterCard reveals. “Contactless spend tripled in Europe compared to Q2 2014,” the company says. “In Q2 2015, 1 out of 2 contactless transactions were done at food stores, followed by 14.5% at restaurants and bars and 10% at retail stores.” MasterCard will make high value contactless payments available across Europe by 2017.
- ABN Amro pilots wearable payments with select customers
- Danske Bank brings Apple Pay to customers in Northern Ireland
- Dankort gets lockscreen mobile payments and Touch ID support
- Punchh brings Apple Pay to restaurant loyalty program
- East London gets local currency built on the blockchain