Contactless transactions grew by almost 170% year-on-year in Q2 2015 across Europe and consumers already using contactless tapped 20% more often, research from MasterCard reveals. “Contactless spend tripled in Europe compared to Q2 2014,” the company says. “In Q2 2015, 1 out of 2 contactless transactions were done at food stores, followed by 14.5% at restaurants and bars and 10% at retail stores.” MasterCard will make high value contactless payments available across Europe by 2017.
- Japanese bank plans new biometrics firm
- Boon launches in France for Apple Pay users
- Mobile marketplace offers African farmers promise of richer, cashless harvest
- US bank backs top five mobile payment services
- Mobile payments market worth $3,338bn by 2022