US transit operators San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (NORTA) and the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) have launched mobile ticketing services. SFMTA’s MuniMobile service uses QR codes and Norta is using Masabi‘s QR code-based JustRide platform. CTA’s service lets Metra bus passengers buy tickets using its Ventra app. CTA plans to add NFC to the app in the future.
- Brunei’s largest bank to use Rambus’ Token Service Provider platform to secure mobile payment transactions
- HID Global enables workers to log in with NFC mobile phones
- Costa lets customers make payments with their coffee cups
- Vancouver commuters ‘queue down the block’ for TransLink transit ticketing wristbands
- European Central Bank switches on low cost instant payments system