Some 417bn cashless payments were made in 60 countries worldwide in 2014, according to research from RBR. “These are increasing at only a slightly faster rate than the number of ATM cash withdrawals, suggesting that cash is still favoured as a means of payment for a significant proportion of the global population,” RBR says. “Cards are by far the most common and fastest growing cashless means of payment, making up more than half of such transactions worldwide.”
- NXP unveils high security NFC tags that let brands deliver digitally connected products at scale
- Startup tracks fine art provenance using NFC tags and blockchain registry
- iPhone XS packs chips for payments from NXP and ST
- Paytm to test face verification for payments in stores?
- Huami includes NFC for travelcards, payments and access control in $116 budget smartwatch