Half of consumers in mature markets including North America, Japan and parts of Western Europe expect to be using smartphones or wearables to make payments by 2018, research from Gartner shows. “Any mobile payment wallets that are tied to the device will have limited adoption,” says the firm’s Annette Jump. “Cloud-based solutions will have a better chance to succeed as they can reach a wider audience and can support many use cases beyond face-to-face or in-store options.”
- WhatsApp Payments to launch in UK, Mexico and Brazil?
- German consumers warm to contactless payments
- Carrefour tests biometric payments at point of sale
- Facebook to offer WhatsApp payments in Africa?
- Shenzhen Metro tests face recognition payments