Customers of mobile network operator Econet Wireless in Zimbabwe can now make in-store purchases by tapping NFC stickers affixed to their mobile devices at the point of sale, with funds automatically deducted from their EcoCash mobile money account. “More than 500 vendors, merchant and agencies have already signed for EcoCash Ta! in Harare alone and Econet plans to launch it in other parts of the country over the next few weeks,” the carrier says.
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India
- Walmart equips garden centre staff with mobile checkout devices
- Chevrolet and Shell let drivers pay for fuel and access offers from their vehicles
- US supermarket chain Meijer to launch mobile self-checkout service