One in three of all card-present transactions made globally between July 2014 and June 2015 used EMV chip technology, research from EMVCo shows. 97% of card-based payments in Europe Zone 1 used EMV, followed by 87% in Latin America, 84% in Africa and the Middle East, 65% in Europe Zone 2 and 34% in Asia. “The US is just beginning to establish its EMV infrastructure with EMV chip payments accounting for less than 1% of transactions during this reporting period,” EMVCo says.
- Garmin Pay expands to three new smartwatches
- Barclays files blockchain funds transfer and KYC patents
- More than half a billion Chinese consumers now use mobile payments
- Mastercard patent proposes combining blockchain with existing payments systems
- Shoppers prefer Apple Pay over Walmart Pay