Visa PayWave accounted for 61% of the 1.4bn contactless payments made in Europe in 2014, research from RBR reveals, with MasterCard PayPass accounting for the “vast majority” of the remainder. “Contactless has spread rapidly in Europe and RBR forecasts the payment volume to increase nine-fold between 2014 and 2020,” the firm adds.
- Amazon begins delivering parcels to consumers’ cars
- Copenhagen Business School lets students make payments with just their finger — no card or smartphone required
- Contactless payments are now used for half of all public transport journeys in London
- Samsung Pay to go live in South Africa in June
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents