Apple has begun selling mobile POS provider Square’s US$49 contactless readers in its US stores as well as online. Square unveiled the NFC mPOS terminals during Apple’s WWDC in June 2015 and offered the first 250,000 free of charge. It began shipping devices in December.
- Dutch bank Bunq finds a backdoor way to offer Apple Pay in the Netherlands
- AirAsia to enter the mobile payments market
- Apple’s Gymkit with NFC begins to gain traction
- Macy’s brings mobile self-checkout to department stores
- BBVA bank staff to test face recognition for self-serve restaurant orders and payments