Wearable payments provider FitPay has closed a US$3.1m seed funding round led by Giesecke & Devrient (G&D). “FitPay’s payment platform uses NFC technology combined with card network tokenization to interact with POS terminals at retail locations,” the company says. “FitPay’s Trusted Payment Manager platform allows contactless payment capabilities on a wide range of wearable devices.” FitPay developed a smartstrap to enable NFC payments on Pebble Time smartwatches in November 2015.
- Tappy Christmas! Save the Children raises money with contactless jumpers
- Bayern Munich adds NFC ticketing for Apple users at Allianz Arena
- Barclays lets customers use their mobile banking app to restrict the type of stores their card can be used in
- Guess unveils fashion watches with contactless payment bands
- The world’s biggest electronics store uses NFC tags to let shoppers self-checkout on their mobile phones