Wearable payments provider FitPay has closed a US$3.1m seed funding round led by Giesecke & Devrient (G&D). “FitPay’s payment platform uses NFC technology combined with card network tokenization to interact with POS terminals at retail locations,” the company says. “FitPay’s Trusted Payment Manager platform allows contactless payment capabilities on a wide range of wearable devices.” FitPay developed a smartstrap to enable NFC payments on Pebble Time smartwatches in November 2015.
- Walmart files blockchain payments data storage patents
- Card networks to co-develop single buy button for online transactions
- PayPal can now be used to make Samsung Pay mobile payments in US stores
- Chinese province uses Alipay QR codes for citizen ID
- Facebook to launch Messenger payments in India