Wearable payments provider FitPay has closed a US$3.1m seed funding round led by Giesecke & Devrient (G&D). “FitPay’s payment platform uses NFC technology combined with card network tokenization to interact with POS terminals at retail locations,” the company says. “FitPay’s Trusted Payment Manager platform allows contactless payment capabilities on a wide range of wearable devices.” FitPay developed a smartstrap to enable NFC payments on Pebble Time smartwatches in November 2015.
- Contactless transit payments go live in Miami
- Telia tests 5G face recognition payments
- Lojas Americanas opens checkout-free automated convenience stores in Brazil
- Apple rolls out Apple Card, extends 3% cashback offer to third party merchants
- Facebook to partner with banks for WhatsApp payments rollout?